I think part of its because there was never really a discussion about it in the past, I had all of my baby names picked out way long ago. Problem is that if this baby is a boy, his name was supposed to be Landon Blake Shumaker. Since its such a great name though, my aunt Julia stole Landon from me without even knowing it. So now its up for discussion. As for a girl name, I really really really love Chloe (I actually thought Ava was more of a chloe but I wanted her to be named after her great great grandmother and Ava LaVonne sounded better than Chloe LaVonne) but there are plenty of names yet to discuss. Maybe ill post our top 25 for each gender.
The other reason that it is more difficult is because for the last 4 years Billy has been a school teacher and when you get to know obnoxious kids with certain names, all of a sudden that name is associated with that kid (even unconsciously) and you just cant get it past you to accept it! For example, I told Billy I kind of like Savannah and he said no way- hes known at least 5 terrible savannahs.
Billy likes more classic, tried and true names, while a lot of the ones i like will go out of style in 10 years ( I wouldnt name my kid Emily or Michael) and I like some more masculine sounding girl names (payton, brinley, jordan) and feminine boy names (Christian, Greyson, Julian etc)
BTW- billy thinks greyson would be teased and called "Gracie"
Another problem is that about 80% of the boy names I like end in "on", "en", "an" or "in" as Cameron Carson has already proven.
What are we going to do? Any suggestions on names?

I'm happy you're doing a baby blog! With 3 of my own, I will love experiencing this vicariously through you, without having to do it again myself!
ReplyDeleteNames are the HARDEST! Our first baby was easy, Nate already had the name picked out, but the second was so hard. His name is Christian, and I swear, I never heard of it being a girl name or being feminine until after we named him that. Now I know 3 female Christians. We couldn't agree on anything else and that was the only name we had when he was born. If I could rename him, I think I would. Is that bad? :(
Luckily, you've got time. I'd be interested in your top 25, although I found other people's opinions just mess up your own ideas. Choose what you want and what you feel comfortable with. Good luck and I'll check your blog often!
I wanna hear an update on this one! We're not pregnant yet, but we're already fighting over names again! Have you guys gotten any closer?
ReplyDelete